Tuesday, August 14, 2012

How To: Kljukusa





Last night I tried to Google & YouTube "How to Make Kljukusa".  I find nothing helpful--which is a first in my Google-ing experience. 

I assume that the reason for this is that kljukusa is by far the most simple thing to make-- next to pouring cereal, and there is no reason to post it online when even a monkey could figure out how to make it without the help of Google.

Also, our recipes are mostly passed on by word of mouth from grandmother-mother-daughter. So nobody ever thought to put this online.  However, in the past years, there have been wars and genocides and such, that have taken us away from the tradition of a grandmother teaching her granddaughter how to cook.  A huge number of Bosnians live in the US, half a world away from our grandparents, and our parents are too busy "Keeping Up with the Joneses Kardashians" to teach us themselves. 

So I ended up making my kljukusa by what I can remember when my aunt taught me in Bosnia and was surprised at how good it turned out.

So without further ado, here is the best ever online step-by-step guide to making KLjUKUŠA 


1. Gather Ingredients & Utensils:

  • Flour
  • 1 Egg
  • Vegetable Oil
  • Salt
  • Potatoes
  • Baking Powder
  • Dry Curd Cottage Cheese or Plain Cottage Cheese or White Cheese
  • Margarine
  • "Tepsija" (a shallow pan, usually 1" deep,  20" diameter *featured in Lepa Brena's "Udri Mujo")
  • Large Bowl
  • Potato Peeler/Knife
  • Wooden Spoon
2. Peel and dice potatoes (They should be very thinly diced). This is easiest to do with a  potato peeler but can be done with a  knife-- or if you're a cavewoman, a sharp rock. 

3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.

4. Combine diced potatoes with the egg in a bowl. Add some oil. Bosnians do not cook with measurements, so you'll have to do what feels right. Try about 1/3 cup of oil. Stir. 

5. Add 1-2 tablespoons of baking powder. And abouuut three cups of flour. You'll have a hard time stirring this, so go ahead and add some water. And stir. And add water. And stir. Add enough water to give your kljukusa the consistency of a milkshake. Add some salt-- one or two tablespoons. I'm a salt lover so I add a little extra.

6. Prep your "tepsija" by rubbing it with oil-- all over the bottom and around the edges. You don't want it to stick. Be generous. 

7. Pour your mixture into the "tepsija", give it a shake to settle, and pop it in the oven. Mine cooked at 375 for about 40-50 minutes. You'll want to check on yours after 30-ish, to allow for differences between our ovens. You'll know it's done when a toothpick comes out clean. You can also take out a chunk from the middle and taste it. (Don't worry about making a hole in your precious kljukusa, you'll be tearing it up later..)

8. Once your kljukusa is cooked, take it out of the oven and splatter it with warm water, cover with a cloth, and let it sit for a few minutes. This softens it and cools it down, making it easier to tear. Don't worry, you'll still have the nice, crispy edges (my fav!)

9. Melt 2 tablespoons of margarine in the microwave (or stovetop) and add equal parts oil. Mix. Set aside.

10. Prepare your cheese. Dry curd cottage cheese should be salted to taste. Plain cottage cheese should be salted to taste. White cheese should be crumbled up and is usually super salty if you get the one in brine.

11. Tear it up. Your kljukusa. Use a spoon or your hands and tear it into bite sized pieces. Add cheese on top--generously. Sprinkle your margarine/oil mix on top of the cheese sparingly, using a spoon. You can always add more later if you think it's too dry.

12. Serve & Enjoy!


*Don't be overwhelmed by my 12 steps. It's so much easier than it sounds--I just tend to over inform. 


PLEASE COMMENT IF:
  • you tried this & liked it
  • you tried this & hated it
  • you have different variations, tips/tricks, and advice!
  • you have questions 
  • you have other food requests (I'm not "Bosnian Housewife-worthy" yet, but I'm happy to learn along with you!)


Twitter: @MsAdja
Instagram: @azra_rizvic
















5 comments:

  1. My very first kljukusa! Turned out great, I'm always on google looking for bosnian meals to make. I like to know all the details about meals, but my mom has a hard time explaining- because, like you said, "Bosnians do not cook with measurements," so I love the descriptive steps! Thank you so much for posting! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aldina,

      Thank you for being the first comment on my blog! I like having the details, too, which is why I decided to write the recipe out. It was originally going to be just something that I could refer back to when I cooked it again, but I'm glad I was able to help you and that it turned out well!

      Azra

      Delete
  2. Thank you for posting this! I am an American that LOVES Balkan food, with the exception of lamb. I frequently travel to Sarajevo with my partner who is from there and I really enjoy Kljukusa! I wanted to make this for dinner but I couldn't find the recipe his mom gave me, and this was the only helpful one in english I found. The only differences I noticed are, that his mom grates her potato with a cheese grater instead of slicing. I'm sure it will still be delicious! Hvala Puno!! :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ćao Hunter! I'm glad I could help you out and I hope you enjoyed your meal! The cheese grater is a great idea - I'm sure it saves time prepping and also allows it cook faster if the potato chunks are thinner.

    I'll be adding more recipes so check back soon and try out some new foods!

    Thanks,

    Azra

    ReplyDelete
  4. My aunt always used to make kljukuša, but we usually dont use potatoes. Great recepie btw

    ReplyDelete